Durham University’s STEP 2021
Applications for Durham University’s STEP 2021 are now open and students can apply online! The deadline for applications is 16 April2021.
Durham University’s Space to Explore Potential programme, or STEP, offers a dedicated space for young Black students in Year 12, to explore not only their own potential, but all that Durham has to offer as a potential university destination.
In 2020, STEP students took part in a three day online residential where they were able to:
- meet current Durham University students and quiz them on their experiences;
- have taster sessions with one of our departments (we are pleased to be working with three new academic departments on STEP this year. Click here for further information on which subjects students can apply for);
- access key information, advice and guidance about the UCAS application process;
- attend a talk run by the Durham African Caribbean Society; and
- hear a keynote speech from Dr Jason Arday.
27 students received guaranteed alternative offers from Durham University after taking part in STEP, and 18 or (67 percent) have since applied to Durham through UCAS!
One of the STEP 2020 participants said: ‘I think the one of the most important things was gaining a student’s perspective about what studying at a prestigious university, like Durham, is like and some of the challenges he has faced and overcome as someone from an ethnic minority. I really appreciated that he was willing to share this information with us and I also enjoyed connecting with the other sixth form students’.
If you are interested in finding out more about STEP, have a look on our website, sign up to an information event, or come chat to us at the Reach Society’s Virtual Careers Conference! Please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected] if you, or your students, have any questions.Access and Engagement Team Durham University
23rd September 2022
22nd July 2022
22nd July 2022